Google
 

Monday, October 22, 2007

"Over You" By Daughtry

Daughtry is an American rock band from North Carolina, formed by Chris Daughtry, a previous American Idol contestant Season 3 in the year 2006. Their self-titled debut album was released on November 21, 2006. The disc reached #1 for two non-consecutive weeks on the Billboard 200, outsold Idol winner Taylor Hicks' debut effort, and sold more than 3 million copies. Their album is also the fastest-selling debut rock album in Soundscan history.

Their new track, “Over You”, can easily carry the band back to the top of the charts. It is in the muscular pop-rock mode that made me playing and singing this song over and over again while working in the office or at home. Its catchy sing-along chorus makes it a great concert song.

This single was co-written by experienced rock singer-songwriter Brian Howes and one of his most recent successes was co-writing all of the songs on the breakthrough album by the Oklahoma-based rock band Hinder. Among those tunes was the massive pop hit single "Lips of an Angel", which is until now one of my favorite songs too. Brian Howes obviously has a way with rock songs about the rough patches of a relationship.

Chris Daughtry was really my favorite during the American Idol contest because of his throaty voice. I don’t know why America did not voted for him to be the champion. Anyway, here’s the lyrics and video of the song that somehow I can relate with.


Daughtry - "Over You"

I

Now that it's all said and done,
I can't believe you were the one
To build me up and tear me down,
Like an old abandoned house.
What you said when you left
Just left me cold and out of breath.
I fell too far, was in way too deep.
Guess I let you get the best of me.

Chorus:

*Well, I never saw it coming.
I should've started running
A long, long time ago.
And I never thought I'd doubt you,
I'm better off without you
More than you, more than you know.

**I'm slowly getting closure.
I guess it's really over.
I'm finally getting better.
And now I'm picking up the pieces.
I'm spending all of these years
Putting my heart back together.

***'Cause the day I thought I'd never get through,
I got over you.

II

You took a hammer to these walls,
Dragged the memories down the hall,
Packed your bags and walked away.
There was nothing I could say.
And when you slammed the front door shut,
A lot of others opened up,
So did my eyes so I could see
That you never were the best for me.

Repeat Chorus
Repeat * (2x), **

Well I'm putting my heart back together,
'Cause I got over you.
Well I got over you.
I got over you.

Repeat ***

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this song! I am shocked this wasn't his first release it's the best song to come off his album yet. I've got to go buy that CD stat! Nice job Chris!